Send me an email at: hennesseyhouseblog AT gmail DOT com

Sunday, August 15, 2010

My New Super Fantastic Mirror

This just might be my favorite project that I've ever done.
1. It was a lucky find, and it was cheap.
2. It was fun.
3. I'm not trying to be obnoxious by tooting my own horn, this is just a fact: IT TURNED OUT AWESOME.

I visited a church rummage sale last Saturday and found this clock for just $5.

Well, okay yea, it's totally 70s, but I instantly had visions of transforming this piece into a mirror.
Luckily, the wooden petals slid off.....
So I removed them all.
Then using a pair of pliers, I hacked off that clock and its parts. There was a long, sturdy piece of hardware that connected the back of the clock face to its gizmos in the back, and I think it took me about 20 minutes, no joke, to pry and break everything off. Look at how bent the face got:

Once the wooden petals and clock components were removed, I spray painted the metal part Rustoleum's "Aluminum":

And I took disposable wooden shish-kabob sticks and stuck those into a box so I could put each of the petals on their own little stand for spray painting:

I went with Rustoleum's semi-gloss black. I know, black and silver is such a safe choice, but just wait and see, the impact is quite stunning.....

I picked up this round mirror from Michael's for a piddly $2. I hot glued it to the metal sunburst part:

And once the black petals were all dry, I put them back on their posts and TA DA!

SUCH a difference!!

For a cost breakdown:
$5 - retro clock
$2 - round mirror
$4.50 - can of Rustoleum black paint
(I had all the other supplies)

I have myself a new mirror for just around $12, and it makes quite a dramatic statement in my sitting room.
The black, silver and gray all goes really well with my new green curtains (I'll get to those in a future post).

I am seriously in love.
I'll be linking up to the DIY Show Off, Thrifty Decor Chick's Before and After Party, and Metamorphosis Monday, too!

52 comments:

  1. AMAZING I love it!! I am a sucker for retro stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a transformation! You have a great eye for turning ugly into marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing wrong with being seventies, that's where all my clothes came from. ;)

    But wow, I think that's my most favorite of all your projects. It looks uber expensive! And I love your wall color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I LOVE that! It looks expensive. Nice sunburst mirrors are hard to find at a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Way to see the potential in that old clock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! What vision you had to get to the final project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is gorgeous, Sarah! That would totally sell for like $70 or more at a home decor store. WIN.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, SHUT UP! I love it and will definitely be on the hunt for one of those crazy ugly clocks at my local thrift store in the future! Its GORGEOUS now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE. IT. Seriously, it's gorgeous! Although I am partial to sunburst mirrors, being the proud owner of one myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, you certainly nailed that one! It looks absolutely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah,
    Well you have done it again...what a "COOL" idea you had here with this retro clock...looks outstanding! Hop over and show it off at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY this week and you will see that I have featured your $5 bistro set...I hope it's okay with you:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. While I love the way it looked before hand (I'm a sucker for mid-century modern), I do like how you mixed it up to fit in with the decor of your house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your ability to visual something awesome, coming from something... less than awesome... never seizes to amaze you, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so stinkin jealous! That is awesome, you did an amazing job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! What a smart idea and it looks absolutely gorgeous with the silver and black. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are one smart cookie and I don't blame you if you want to toot your own horn! What a vision! This looks very Ballard Design now--without the Ballard price! I think that is more likely from the '60's than the 70's

    ReplyDelete
  17. That mirror is amazing! How you looked at that clock and saw the potential... I have NO idea... but your transformation is AMAZING!!! GREAT JOB! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is really awesome! I love the after! You are right, the silver and black look great together. I would toot my own horn too if I found that treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I love it. Now I need to find one of those ugly clocks to transform into a work of art. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is now my favorite project of yours! So fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The black and silver goes so well with your wall color and curtains. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I am so impressed! I absolutely love this!!!! Very happy to find you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Goes without saying, but AWESOME redo! Love the black/silver combo too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the way that turned out! Looks great on your gray wall.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another amazing piece of art! Can I have it? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's lovely! I think it would have been awesome to leave the wood petals as is, too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! An amazing transformation! Love it! I hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous, fabulous, amazing, wow, can you tell that I love it?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ok, I'm totally in love too!!

    That turned out FANTASTIC!!!!

    (And thanks for stopping by my blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a fantastic idea. I love the way it turned out. Now I'm on a mission to find me one of those clocks.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fabulous! I love your perseverance in chasing the vision you had for this clock. So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  32. oh my goodness I love what you did with this! It looks fabulous.

    Yes, my orange wall was fun for like a day.. ok maybe a few days, but then it was too overwhelming for me.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is truly fabulous!!! What a great makeover! I'm happy to be your newest follower and would love to have you visit Frou Frou Decor..I love new friends! I'd also like to invite you to link up to my party every Friday..for Fabulous Friday Finds...anything from creative finds to recipes..crafts, etc. :D Hope to see you there!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ FFD~

    ReplyDelete
  34. woo hoo! you nailed it!

    awesome work!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful! I have a similar clock that doesn't work so I have been trying to figure out what to do with it. I'd love for you to come by and link up to Vintage Suitcase Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is my favorite project yet! It looks fabulous and you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, that's stunning, I love it!
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Seriously, this is awesome. It's too bad we're both married...lol. We could run away together and make awesome shit into amazing treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  39. (visiting from Better After)...LOVE this redo!!

    ReplyDelete